At the Y, we believe the ability to swim is a critical life skill. When you learn to swim, you gain confidence, acquire safety/rescue skills and experience water activities you can enjoy for a lifetime. Throughout all stages, we teach students how to be safer and more comfortable in the water.
We offer swim lessons in monthly sessions. Each session includes 8 lessons (twice a week). We also offer a Saturday morning session which includes 8 lessons over 8 weeks.
Mini Swim Lesson | Dates from September 9 – November 11, 2019
- Parent/Child, Preschool, and Youth swim options
Preschool Swim Lessons
- 3 – 5 years old
- In this swim basics program, preschoolers learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills—swim, float, swim and jump, push, turn, grab. Through multiple sessions, children may progress to water movement, water stamina and stroke introduction
Youth Swim Lessons | Dates from September 9 – December 5, 2019
- 5 – 12 years old
- In this program, children may begin at any of the six stages in our swim program: water acclimation to stroke mechanics. The YMCA aquatics director can help determine the appropriate level. For more information about the various levels, click on the program overview link above.
Parent/Child Swim Lessons | Dates from September 9 -December 5, 2019
- 6 months – 3 years old
- Accompanied by a parent, infants and toddlers learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills building experiences, while parents learn about water safety, drowning prevention, and the importance of supervision.
Adult Swim Lessons | Dates from September 9 – December 11, 2019
- Age: 13 and up
- Adult swim lessons are for non-swimmers to teach the fundamentals of swimming. This class will provide the skills to allow participants to become comfortable in the water, feel safe, and enjoy the pool.
Please Note: While classes fill quickly, we strive to meet the needs of all our participants. If a class is full, please put your name and phone number on our waiting list, as we add classes each session based upon need, pool space, and instructor availability. We will contact you if there is an opening. Also, lessons may be available at our other branches: Rock Hill YMCA Aquatics Center, YMCA at Carolina Crossing, CSD Community YMCA and the Charlotte Avenue YMCA.